Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mutt Strut '09

Mom Dad and headed down to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for Mutt Strut. They said I would get to see lots of dogs. I was pretty excited. It was a beautiful day. Sunny and warm, but not too warm.

The Mutt Strut is a fund raiser for the Humane Society. When I was really little, I lived with someone, and they dropped me off at the Humane Society. I call it "my stint in juvie". Living at the Humane Society was not fun. I wish I had started blogging way back then, so I could remember everything better. But, I do remember that after a few weeks in juvie, I was happy to get out of there and into my forever home. So anyway, I guess this fund raiser will help to make sure that dogs living at the Humane Society can be taken care of better until they get adopted. Since every person needs a dog, that means there have to be a lot of dogs waiting to get adopted, so then they can join the bark park where I can wrestle with them.



P1000955
Walking into Motor Speedway with mom. I hope some other dogs show up.


This place is huge. We walked a long way just to get to the check-in area. But, I was seeing lots of people, and lots of dogs. Just about everyone I saw had a dog. I don't know why people don't just take there dogs with them everywhere all of the time.


P1000963
Finally found the check-in area.



We ran into a couple of my bark park buddies. That was fun to see them.


P1000976
Sandy (pouncing on me) and Laney in the background are my buds.


The closer we got to the actual race track the more people and dogs we saw. They were everywhere. All kinds of dogs. There were some great big dogs much bigger than me, and there were some that were smaller than our cat Gnarly. Dogs are cool. I saw this one that I was pretty sure was a horse. But, mom said it was an "Irish Wolf Hound". I think it was more like an "Irish Horse Hound".


P1000978
Irish Horse Hound



P1000988
So, what do you eat... Hay? Cats?


We checked in and got our instructions, and headed out to the race track to put in our lap.



P1000980
Hey! Boomer is a cat! Not right!


When we got to the track I could see a lot of dogs that were all ready coming around to complete their lap


P1000986
Strutters coming in to the finish line


We finally got on the track, and everyone was all excited about playing on this "yard of bricks". I don't really get it. I like "yard of grass" a lot more. Who would want bricks in their yard? Whatever... people...



P1000992
Me and Laney on the yard of bricks




P1010003
Me and Sandy on the yard of bricks... oh yeah, mom and the Laney's mom, and Sandy's parents are there too.


Finally we are off to the races. There were 100's, maybe 1,000's of dogs and people on the track. It was quite an amazing sight. The track is huge. Bigger than the bark park. They had a lot of people and water along the track when we started, but it seemed like the more we walked the farther it was between the water stations.



P1010037
Me on the Indy 500 race track. "He is on it!"


P1010012
We are ahead of a lot of people.


P1010041
P1010043
P1010049
Coming out of turn 4 and heading down the home stretch.


As we kept walking it seemed to be getting hotter and hotter, and the track was getting longer and longer.

I started making "Varooooom" noises and pretended I was driving a car. I think I could drive a car. I've seen dad do it, and it doesn't look that hard. But, he does get a lot of help from mom.


After walking a lap around the track on a warm sunny day, we all knew the meaning of the phrase "hot lap"



P1010051
Mom and I are coming down pit lane, slowing down after our hot lap.



I don't like brag... and I know it wasn't really an official race, but there did seem to be a lot of people that wanted my picture in the "Winners Circle". I mean... it is called the "Winners Circle". And, there I was.


P1010073
Me and my buddies in the winners circle, after walking down Victory Lane.


On the way home we stopped at a place called "Ritters". Mom and Dad got me something called "A single scoop of vanilla on a cone". I think it is safe to say that "A single scoop of vanilla on a cone" is my new favorite food. We saw some other people with dogs there. One of them told us that they were just coming home from the Mutt Strut too. There were some people there without dogs... not sure why they didn't bring their dogs there.

1 comment:

Lois Lane/Laney said...

That was a pretty good day!
I'm so glad you and Sandy went. I don't think I would have had near as much fun without you guys!